Friday, July 18, 2014

Video: DIY Chicken Coop for under 10 bucks

DIY Chicken Coop
Cost: 10 Bucks
Time: 3 Hours

Today with the help of family members and a friend we were able to build this chicken coop in roughly three hours and around ten bucks. Most materials were either given to me or left over from previous projects. The money invested was to build the feeder and the latch for the gate which was around five bucks. This simple do it yourself chicken coop with proper ventilation, will provide a nice nesting place all year round, and food for the table. Thus, cutting my family's food bill. Below is a materials list and a link to the video to see how it's done on YouTube. If you like what you see don't forget to follow me on my blog and to subscribe to my channel on YouTube. All this is possible because of all of you. So thank you for your continuous support and I look forward to all your comments and questions either through blogging, YouTube or my email. 

Direct YouTube Link: http://youtu.be/X2eKY1rsb1I

Materials:

An existing shed
26' fencing
3- 10' wooden posts
2- Fence posts
3- Pallets (1 is for the gate)
Heavy duty wire
2- Floor vents (ventilation)
Handful of nails or screws
1- Gate latch
1- Bale of straw

Then of course your chickens, roost, nests, water, and feeder.

Extras but not necessary:

*I used 2- 2x4's screwed to the shed floor for extra stability of the fence but it wasn't necessarily needed. I also added 2 old wire sides of cages to the pallets on the end just to make sure the chickens couldn't get out but probably wasn't needed either. 

*Use materials you have on hand or barter with a neighbor, family member or friend. You can look on craigslist under the "free" sections too. You'd be amazed at what you'll find.

Tools:

Hammer or drill (depending on if you're using nails or screws)
Sawzall
Wire cutters
Tape Measure



No comments:

Post a Comment